Sunday, November 1, 2009

Personal Autonomy – How far does it extend?

“Personal Autonomy? What’s that?” was my initial thought when I saw this topic. So I checked with the most reliable source I’ve had over my past five years of studying, Google. I came across onelook.com which is an online dictionary and it provided me with the following definitions:- Immunity from arbitrary exercise of authority: political independence- Personal independence
Reading these definitions, the common word found is independence (and the first song that comes to mind is Independent Women by Destiny’s Child – and now you’re probably singing it in your head as well!).
I personally feel that in today’s society, it is vitally important to be independent, especially for women. It is important that you as an individual are able to stand on your own two feet and fend for yourself without the reliance of other people.
However, with that said, no man is an island. We all still rely on each other for one thing or another; be it a lift to work because your car broke down, a cup of sugar because you ran out and never noticed or it could be love, support, happiness.
Personal Autonomy plays a key role in defining who you are and how well you succeed in life, however it shouldn’t be to an extent where you shut yourself off from the rest of the world – how lonely and sad would that be?

No comments:

Post a Comment